St. Swithens
Wellow Village | Nottinghamshire
Wellow Parish Church
Use this link for  A Church Near You
Brief history of The Parish of Wellow The   village   was   at   one   time   part   of   the   Rufford   estate   but   in   1974   the   Queen signed   an   Order   in   Council   making   the Abbey   and   the   larger   part   of   inhabited Rufford a part on the ecclesiastical parish of Wellow. Although   the   present   church   has   been   restored   at   various   times,   it   has   stood on   this   spot   for   eight   centuries.   The   hopes   and   fears,   the   joys   and   sorrows   of generations    of    Wellow    folk    have    been    brought    within    these    walls.    The martyrdom   of   Thomas A'Becket   was   not   long   past   when   the   original   structure was   erected,   probably   about   the   time   of   Richard   the   Lion   Heart   who   began his   reign   in   1189.   There   are   traces   of   Transition   (i.e.   from   the   Norman   to   early English style of architecture) in the octagonal shafts and arches of the aisles. The   small   splayed   window   in   the   north   wall,   this   dates   from   the   year   1190. The   nave   is   fourteenth   century,   the   arcade   is   of   two   semicircular   arches   with   octagonal   pier   and   responds,   all fourteenth century. The window in the south wall is of still earlier date. An   interesting   connection   with   Norman   times   is   the   font   bowl   under   the   west   window.   It   is   round   at   the   front   and   square at   the   back   as   it   was   originally   made   to   stand   against   a   wall.   This   font   is   no   longer   used   as   all   baptisms   take   place   in the one which was added in later centuries. The   tower   is   of   three   stages;   the   main   structure   is   the   same   date   as   the   nave   (14th)   the   battlement   and   pinnacles   are Perpendicular (i.e. the Gothic style of the 14th and 15th centuries) The tower has three bells with following inscriptions:
The   porch,   the   chancel   arch,   the   font   and   the   pulpit   are   all   modern.   The   channcel   screen   was   given   in   1904   by   Mr.   J. A. Bell of Wellow House. In   the   south   aisle   is   a   stained   glass   window   bearing   the   following   inscription:   "To   the   glory   of   God   and   to   the   memory   of his   beloved   wife   Louisa   Blanche   Foljambe   who   died   October   7th,   1871   aged   29   years;   and   her   son   Frederick   Comton Savile   Foljambe   who   died August   21st,   1871."   Mr   Foljambe   later   became   Lord   Hawkesbury   and   later   Earl   of   Liverpool. A semi-quatre foil light above the window contains the figure of St. Swithin, the Patron Saint of the Church. The   east   window   of   the   chancel   is   in   the   memory   of   William   S.   Ward,   surgeon,   who   lived   at   Wellow   Hall.   In   his   day   (last century)    Wellow    Hall    was    a    hospital    and    dispensary    for    "the    relief    of    the    old    and    poor,    from    whatever    county recommended".   Before   that   the   Hall   was   the   seat   of   Sir   Francis   Molyneux,   Baronet.   His   body   is   buried   in   the   family   vault in   Teversall   Church.   The   incumbent   at   the   beginnig   of   the   20th   century,   the   Rev.   W.   Beecher,   lived   there   for   many   years and   only   moved   out   when   it   was   taken   over   by   Sir   Launcelot   and   Lady   Maud   Rolleston.   He   then   made   his   home   in   the vicarage which was a converted farm house. This has now been sold and is now in private ownership.
1. Jesus Be our Guide 1660 2. God save the church 1635 3. Gloria in exelsis Deo 1560
Use this link for information about the new bells
Wellow Village
The Wellow Village Website