The Bells of St. Swithin's ChurchDuring 2007 a beautiful ring of six bells in St. Swithin's Church was completed, achieved from an unringable three prior to 2001 in three staged projects, spearheaded by the Parochial Church Council and assisted latterly by the efforts of the St. Swithin's Church Bell Ringers. It is thanks to the generosity and support of the people and friends of Wellow, the Southwell Diocesan Guild of Bell Ringers (in particular the Bell Repair Fund) and the favourable responses of various charities that the present happy situation was reached in such a relatively short time.Starting in 2001, Wellow PCC raised £20,000.00 to relocate two of the existing three bells − which had been silent for many years − into a new chamber in the tower; that project also saw the renovation of the Church clock, using the third and oldest bell, which was cast in 1560 and bears the inscription 'Gloria in excelsis Deo'. By 2004 the clock was proudly chiming out the hours, and the two remaining original bells − cast in 1635 and 1660, with dedications 'God save the Church' and 'Jesus be our Guide' respectively − with the addition of a third bell, were in their new housing. In the spring of 2005 a band of brand-new (and terrified) ringers 'volunteered' to learn the challenging art of change ringing, and the St. Swithin's Church Bell Ringers were on their way! With much trepidation they set about earning their − hopefully affectionate − nickname 'The Wellow Clangers'*In 2005 further money was raised to add a fourth bell to the ring, and with increased capacity came more enthusiastic novice ringers, with ages ranging between fourteen and seventy years. Four bells were clearly not enough, and a determined effort by the PCC and the ringers plus the support mentioned above meant that in 2007 the final two bells were added to complete the ring. The Service to dedicate the fourth, fifth and sixth bells took place in 2007, on St. Swithin's Day, 15th July. The first quarter−peal on the completed ring of six was rung before the 2007 Harvest Festival Service and the first full peal on 2nd January 2008. Both bands ringing the quarter and full peals included Wellow's own Laura Carr − a great achievement for a novice ringer − and comprised some of the Newark District members of the Southwell Diocesan Guild who had made significant contributions towards the Wellow bells, by helping in their installation, by providing tuition, or both.*The 'Clangers' practice on Thursday evenings, starting at 7.30pm;New members are welcome.